US military tests new interceptor missile
Honolulu: The US military has successfully tested a new, more sensitive interceptor missile by shooting down a short-range ballistic missile off Hawaii.
The Missile Defence Agency says the USS Lake Erie detected and tracked the short-range missile launched from the Pacific Missile Range Facility last night.
The guided missile cruiser fired the interceptor, which took out the missile.
The agency says the new interceptor has a two-colour infrared seeker, which allows it to detect targets further away.
The agency says the test was the 22nd time its Aegis Ballistic Missile Defence system, which is operated from ships, has successfully intercepted a target. The Aegis program has attempted intercepts 27 times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly