US military tests new interceptor missile
Honolulu: The US military has successfully tested a new, more sensitive interceptor missile by shooting down a short-range ballistic missile off Hawaii.
The Missile Defence Agency says the USS Lake Erie detected and tracked the short-range missile launched from the Pacific Missile Range Facility last night.
The guided missile cruiser fired the interceptor, which took out the missile.
The agency says the new interceptor has a two-colour infrared seeker, which allows it to detect targets further away.
The agency says the test was the 22nd time its Aegis Ballistic Missile Defence system, which is operated from ships, has successfully intercepted a target. The Aegis program has attempted intercepts 27 times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!