US must continue updating Cuba policies: Obama
Miami: President Barack Obama says the US must continue updating its policies toward Cuba.
Obama, speaking in Miami, says the US has started to see changes on the island. Obama says US policy aims will remain the same but the nation must find new tools to speak out.
Obama is pointing out that he was born around the same time Fidel Castro took power. He says it doesn`t make sense that policies put in place more than 50 years ago would still be effective in the Internet age.
The US cut off diplomatic relations with Cuba in 1961 and began the economic embargo the next year.
The administration has engaged in recent discussions about migration and mail and relaxed travel and remittance rules for Cuban Americans.
Obama spoke at a Democratic fundraiser.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- At 500 kilograms, is this 36-year-old the world's heaviest woman?
- Crisis in Samajwadi Party: 'Helicopter kya tumhare baap ka hai?' - Why Shivpal Yadav asked this to a man in audience
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption