US: Obama deportation plan could cost $585 mn
Washington: An internal Homeland Security document shows that the Obama administration`s plan to stop deporting young illegal immigrants and grant them temporary work permits could cost more than USD 585 million.
The document, obtained by a news agency, lays out for the first time the government`s estimates of the plan`s costs and manpower requirements.
Last month, the Obama administration announced plans to stop deporting many illegal immigrants brought to the United States as children who don`t have a criminal record or otherwise pose a security threat.
Republican lawmakers have called the policy change a "backdoor amnesty”.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- It was Lalu who pulled and hugged me, will continue to fight corruption, clarifies Arvind Kejriwal