US, Russia, others to cooperate on Arctic rescues
Greenland: The United States, Russia and other nations will sign an agreement Thursday to coordinate Arctic search-and-rescue missions, and begin planning how to prevent a catastrophic oil spill as they rush to exploit some of the world`s richest remaining fuel deposits.
Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said the meeting of the eight-nation Arctic Council will highlight the growing importance of the Earth`s northerly frontier, where melting icecaps are opening new shipping routes, fishing grounds and oil and gas drilling.
Clinton and Interior Minister Ken Salazar were heading the large American delegation in Nuuk, Greenland`s capital. Russia, Canada, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark and Iceland are also represented at the gathering.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- HILARIOUS! Virender Sehwag's take on Kohli and Kabali will leave you in splits
- Hrithik Roshan's kids Hrehaan and Hridhaan emulate daddy dearest and we are loving it! See pic
- France's Francois Hollande says Munich shooting is a ''terrorist attack''
- BSF trooper shoots dead young Muslim woman in Tripura after unsuccessful rape bid - Know what happened
- Brazilian scientists found another type of Zika-transmitting mosquito