US school shooting: Michelle Obama’s open letter to parents
Washington: US First Lady Michelle Obama has written an open letter to US parents about what to focus on when talking to children about the school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut.
“It’s not just adults who are asking questions right now — our children are looking for answers as well,” the New York Daily News quoted Michelle, as saying, in an open letter published on the White House’s website Friday. “Like us, they want to know, why did this happen? Could it happen again?” she added.
According to the report, she urged parents to discuss with their children what happened on Dec. 14 inside Sandy Hook Elementary School, where a young man armed with assault weapons took the lives of 20 children and 6 teachers in minutes. But focus on Newtown’s heroes and strength in the aftermath, Michelle said.
“We can tell them about the extraordinary people of Newtown and how they have responded to unspeakable tragedy,” she wrote. “The educators who sprang to action; the children who carefully followed instructions and comforted each other amidst the chaos; the neighbors and faith leaders who have come together to support one another,” she continued.
Michelle also said to parents that they should remind their kids to be grateful to educators. “We can tell our kids that we’re doing everything we can to keep them safe and make sure they feel loved. And so are their teachers, coaches, faith leaders, Scout leaders and everyone else who plays a role in their lives,” she wrote.
In a separate heartfelt note, she addressed the residents of Newtown, Conn., still struggling in the tragedy`s aftermath, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- 'Tulsidas ji pranam' — Read Bihar's topper Ruby Rai's 'shocking' essay on famous poet
- Why red snow of Arctic is a 'red alert' for the environment?
- Manohar Parrikar says Pampore attack an act of frustration; orders probe
- Virat Kohli: Homework was a 'big headache'
- Three more Indian athletes qualify for Rio Olympics