US Senate calls for Haiti debt relief
Washington: The US Senate has unanimously approved a resolution calling for easing Haiti`s debt burden to help with reconstruction efforts in the wake of the devastating January 12 earthquake.
The measure directs US representatives to the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and other international lenders to act to relieve Haiti`s external debt obligations and calls for future aid to be in the form of grants, not loans.
The "Haiti Recovery Act" also urges President Barack Obama`s administration to support the creation of an international trust fund for Haiti to support investment in infrastructure including the development of electric grids, roads, water and sanitation facilities, and reforestation initiatives.
"The people of Haiti face a long and difficult road ahead," said Democratic Senator Christopher Dodd, a lead author of the measure. "But today, the United States Senate made it clear that they will not have to walk that road alone."
Dodd, chairman of the Senate Banking Committee, crafted the resolution with Senator Richard Lugar, the top Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
"The Senate will continue to assess measures that will help Haiti and develop greater stability and hopefully new opportunities. Dealing with Haiti`s crippling debt burden is an important initial step," said Lugar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes