US Senate confirms Petraeus as CIA chief
Washington: The US Senate on Thursday overwhelmingly confirmed General David Petraeus, who won wide acclaim as commander of war efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan, to head the Central Intelligence Agency.
Lawmakers voted 94-0 to approve the nomination of Petraeus to succeed outgoing CIA director Leon Panetta, whose own confirmation to take over for retiring US Defence Secretary Robert Gates sailed through 100-0 last week.
The two ballots amounted to a strong show of confidence in President Barack Obama`s reshuffling of his national security team, even though Petraeus himself expressed misgivings last week about a coming troop withdrawal from Afghanistan.
The general told the Senate Armed Services Committee that he disagreed with Obama`s decision and had favoured a more modest timeline for the drawdown -- but told lawmakers it was his duty to carry out his commander-in-chief`s strategy.
Asked by Democratic Senator Carl Levin if he was prepared to resign over war policy, Petraeus said: "I don`t think it`s the place for the commander to consider that kind of step unless you are in a very, very dire situation."
"I feel actually quite strongly about this. Our troopers don`t get to quit. And I don`t think commanders should contemplate that as any kind of idle action," the four-star general said, his voice rising.
Petraeus spoke a day after Obama announced plans to withdraw 33,000 surge troops by the end of September 2012, with the first 10,000 due to depart this year.
In the fierce debate over harsh US interrogation techniques, widely seen as torture, Petraeus said last week "humane" approaches are generally sufficient to gain critical intelligence from captured extremists.
But he told the Senate Intelligence Committee that lawmakers who have banned practices such as the controlled drowning known as waterboarding that they may want to consider tougher measures in so-called "ticking time bomb" situations
"There should be a process if, indeed, there is going to be something more than, again, the normal techniques employed in such a case," he said.
He also said he hoped the CIA would not be "totally captured" by Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, and efforts against al Qaeda around the world.
The agency should also focus on "the next developments in the Arab Spring”, emerging cyber threats, China`s rise, and the spread of weapons of mass destruction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'