`US taking many steps to stop spread of nuke weapons`
Washington: The Obama administration is taking a number of steps not only to stop the spread of nuclear weapons, but also to secure loose nuclear materials, the White House has said.
"He`s (US President Barack Obama) taking a series of steps in this area to stop the spread of nuclear weapons, to secure loose nuclear materials, and to pursue the ultimate goal of a world without nuclear weapons," Ben Rhodes, Deputy National Advisor for Strategic Communications told reporters in Tokyo where Obama is travelling right now.
Obama is expected to speak on this issue when he addresses some 1500 people in Tokyo today, he said.
Meanwhile, State Department here said the US at present do not have any specific concern coming from Pakistan on the nuclear proliferation front.
"I think we are always concerned about the possibility of the proliferation of nuclear weapons and nuclear materials. We feel confident that the command and control of nuclear weapons in Pakistan is secure. We don`t have any specific concerns about proliferation per se specifically from Pakistan," State Department spokesman, Ian Kelly, told reporters at a news briefing.
Responding to a question about media reports that China had supplied nuclear weapon grade enriched uranium to Pakistan in 1982, Kelly said he does not have any comment on this specific incident.
"Of course, we place a high – maybe the highest priority on the importance of securing nuclear materials," he said.
"The President is committed to a new and stronger non-proliferation regime. Regarding this article, though, this is about something that happened in the early 80s, I believe," Kelly said in response to the question.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt