US transfers prisoner to Mauritania
Nouakchott: A Mauritanian official says that the United States has transferred one of its prisoners held in Afghanistan to Mauritania.
A Mauritanian security source, who insisted on anonymity because he is not authorized to speak to the press, said that Abu Al Youness Mouritani was flown by US authorities from Bagram Airbase in Afghanistan and handed over to Mauritanian security forces.
Youness is wanted in Mauritania for his alleged involvement in an Islamic extremist attack in June 2005 in which 17 Mauritanian soldiers were killed. He was arrested in September 2011 in Pakistan by Pakistani security services supported by the US intelligence services and detained by the US at the Bagram base.
The Mauritanian security officer said Youness will stand trial for the premeditated murder and membership in a terrorist organization.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah