US urges Egyptian Army to halt arrests of Muslim Brotherhood members
Washington: The United States on Thursday urged Egypt`s interim leaders and the Army to stop arbitrary arrests of Muslim Brotherhood members, saying such moves would only prolong the country`s political crisis.
There had been many arrests in recent days "targeting specific groups," said State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki.
These "are not in line with the national reconciliation that the interim government and military say they are pursuing," she told reporters.
"If politicised arrests and detentions continue, it is hard to see how Egypt will move beyond this crisis."
Yesterday, Egypt`s public prosecutor ordered the arrest of Muslim Brotherhood supreme guide Mohammed Badie and other top leaders for allegedly inciting violence after 51 people were killed in clashes on Monday.
Among those wanted by the prosecution are leading Brotherhood members Mohammed al-Beltagui, Mahmud Ezzat and Safwat Hegazi, the sources said.
The Egyptian public prosecutor has also pressed charges against 200 of the 650 people it detained during the violence, with the others released on bail.
Ousted president Mohamed Morsi has also not been seen in public for more than a week since he was toppled by the military on July 3.
"We have called for an inclusive process moving forward, including all parties. That`s where our focus is now," Psaki added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur