US warns citizens in Kenya over terror threats
Nairobi: The US has issued a travel advisory to all Americans wishing to travel to Kenya and those living in the country to exercise caution due to increased terror threats and violent crime in most parts of the East African nation.
In the advisory, Washington has urged Americans to evaluate their personal security situation in light of continuing and recently heightened threats, Xinhua reported.
"Terrorist acts can include suicide operations, bombings, kidnappings, attacks on civil aviation, and attacks on maritime vessels in or near Kenyan ports," the advisory said.
"The embassy will continue to monitor the security situation and provide updates," the US said in the warning.
Last year, Washington had warned its citizens of an impending terror attack in Kenya`s coastal city of Mombasa and ordered Americans to vacate the city.
A blast occurred in Mombasa June 24, a day after the warning when terrorists threw grenades into a bar where people gathered to watch a European championship soccer match between England and Italy. Three people died and 25 others were injured.
In the past year, there have been more than 30 attacks involving grenades or explosive devices in Kenya. At least 76 people died in these attacks, and around 220 people were injured.
There were no US citizens among the casualties, the embassy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie