`US working on assumption that Kashmiri is alive`
London: Notwithstanding Pakistan`s
assertion that dreaded al Qaeda terrorist Ilyas Kashmiri is
dead, US officials are working on the assumption that he is
"still walking around."
US officials said their working assumption was that he
remained alive despite assurances from Pakistan, `The
Telegraph` said in its report from Kabul.
Earlier, Pakistan`s Interior Minister Rehman Malik had
said he could confirm "100 per cent" that Kashmiri had died
when a Predator drone fired three missiles into a house in
South Waziristan as he and associates drank tea in the garden.
Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani had also
said that the US had confirmed Kashmiri`s death but both
American State and Defence departments insisted they had so
far no confirmation of the killing of the al Qaeda commander.
"It wouldn`t be the first time that reports of his
death have been wrong. We`re simply unable at this time to
confirm reports of Kashmiri`s demise. Our working assumption
is that he`s still walking around," the daily quoted an
unnamed US official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’