Uzbekistan, Tajikistan at odds over mega-dam plan
Tashkent: Uzbekistan on Thursday warned Tajikistan
not to move ahead with the construction of a controversial
hydro-electric dam that has severely strained relations
between the two Central Asian states.
Uzbek Prime Minister Shavkat Mirziyayev, in a letter to
his Tajik counterpart, demanded an independent examination of
the possible consequences of the massive Rogun dam before
Dushanbe begins construction.
Tashkent fears the dam will damage its vital cotton
industry, which depends on water which flows in from
Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan, and negatively impact the
environment of millions of Uzbeks living downstream,
"Uzbekistan`s fundamental position on this issue is to
move ahead with the construction of Rogun station only after a
thorough independent analysis of the project," he said in a
letter published by the official UzA news agency.
He also warned that Uzbekistan would seek the assistance
of the international community to back its position.
The letter highlights the increasingly tense relations
between the two Central Asian states, which have been at odds
on a number of issues for almost two decades since the
collapse of the Soviet Union.
The Rogun dam, which was first conceived as a gigantic
Soviet hydro-electric power project, stalled as Tajikistan
plunged into civil war in the early 1990s after the breakup of
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case