We have other options: US warns on Iran`s N-program
Jerusalem: Talking tough against Iran, US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta on Wednesday threatened to implement "other options", hinting at a possible American military strike, to foil Tehran`s nuclear programme.
Panetta, who is visiting Israel, made the remarks at the site of the Iron Dome anti-missile defence system in Ashkelon.
"If they continue and if they proceed with a nuclear weapon. We have other options, and we are prepared to implement them", he said.
"Iran must either negotiate acceptable limits on its nuclear programme or face the possibility of US military action to stop it from getting the bomb," Panetta was quoted by Ha`aretz online as saying.
He stressed that the US has been "taking steps to continue to apply more pressure on Iran," mentioning Obama`s announcement of new sanctions against Tehran today.
Earlier, Israel`s Defence Minister Ehud Barak, standing beside Panetta, following their meeting that said he sees an "extremely low" probability that sanctions will ever compel Iran to give up its nuclear activities.
"Diplomacy takes time but at the same time the Iranians continue to enrich uranium," Barak said adding, "We have everything to lose while time passes allowing diplomacy to work".
The US Defence Secretary acknowledged Israel`s right to defend itself, re-iterating his country`s commitment to the security of the Jewish state.
"The US respects Israel`s sovereignty and independence and their efforts to decide what`s in their best interest in the region," he said.
Speaking before their meeting, Panetta said, "Our countries have a strong bond, not only of friendship but of security.
"We will do everything we can to defend both of our countries," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional