`Western plot` behind regional tensions: Iran
Tehran: Tensions between Iran and the Gulf
Arab countries are the result of a "Western and Zionist
conspiracy", the foreign ministry in Tehran said on Sunday.
"Sowing discord between Islamic countries, especially
between Iran and the countries of the region, is a Western and
Zionist conspiracy," Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Ramin
Mehmanparst was quoted as saying on the website of state
"We advise regional governments to heed the demands of
their people in order to stop such conspiracies," he said,
while insisting that "unity" among Muslims was the key issue
Tehran`s comments come as the Gulf Cooperation Council
(GCC) is slated to meet in Riyadh today to discuss "Iran`s
interference" in the region.
Relations between Iran and its neighbours have been
strained in recent weeks, as Tehran insists on supporting the
uprisings in the Arab world.
"The stance of the Islamic Republic of Iran is to
support popular movements, halt repression and acts of
violence, and interference of foreigners in the region,"
Iran has severely condemned the brutal crackdown of
Bahrain against its Shiite opposition and the intervention of
the Saudi military to help the Sunni authorities restore order
in the tiny emirate.
Tehran is also faced with a new crisis after Kuwait
accused several Iranian diplomats of having links to a spy
ring and promised to expel them.
Iran has denied of having any connection with the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video