`Western plot` behind regional tensions: Iran
Tehran: Tensions between Iran and the Gulf
Arab countries are the result of a "Western and Zionist
conspiracy", the foreign ministry in Tehran said on Sunday.
"Sowing discord between Islamic countries, especially
between Iran and the countries of the region, is a Western and
Zionist conspiracy," Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Ramin
Mehmanparst was quoted as saying on the website of state
"We advise regional governments to heed the demands of
their people in order to stop such conspiracies," he said,
while insisting that "unity" among Muslims was the key issue
Tehran`s comments come as the Gulf Cooperation Council
(GCC) is slated to meet in Riyadh today to discuss "Iran`s
interference" in the region.
Relations between Iran and its neighbours have been
strained in recent weeks, as Tehran insists on supporting the
uprisings in the Arab world.
"The stance of the Islamic Republic of Iran is to
support popular movements, halt repression and acts of
violence, and interference of foreigners in the region,"
Iran has severely condemned the brutal crackdown of
Bahrain against its Shiite opposition and the intervention of
the Saudi military to help the Sunni authorities restore order
in the tiny emirate.
Tehran is also faced with a new crisis after Kuwait
accused several Iranian diplomats of having links to a spy
ring and promised to expel them.
Iran has denied of having any connection with the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez