Why did Barack Obama’s photo irk Turkey?
Washington: A photograph of US President Barack Obama holding a baseball bat while speaking on the phone with Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan has angered Washington`s key ally.
The Oval Office photo of Obama was intended to promote friendship with an important ally, but it did just the opposite, New York Daily News reports.
Obama`s publicity team photographed the US President speaking with Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan about the escalating crisis in Syria. Obama was holding a baseball bat signed by legendary player Hank Aaron. In the shot, Obama looked relaxed and contemplative, but some Turkish leaders did not seem to think so.
"The photo reveals from whom our Prime Minister receives orders to rule the country," Metin Lutfi Baydar, an opposition politician for Turkey`s Republican People`s Party (CHP) party, said in a statement.
Another CHP leader, party vice president Umut Oran, called the picture "an implicit insult to Turkey and its citizens" in Parliament.
It`s exactly the opposite message the Obama team was hoping to convey. "We released the photo with only one purpose in mind, to highlight the President`s continuing close relationship with Prime Minister Erdogan, and draw attention to the important conversation they had about the worsening situation in Syria," Caitlin Hayden, a spokesperson for the White House, wrote in a statement.
The relationship between Turkey and the United States could prove crucial in the search for a solution to the Syrian crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued