Why did Barack Obama’s photo irk Turkey?
Washington: A photograph of US President Barack Obama holding a baseball bat while speaking on the phone with Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan has angered Washington`s key ally.
The Oval Office photo of Obama was intended to promote friendship with an important ally, but it did just the opposite, New York Daily News reports.
Obama`s publicity team photographed the US President speaking with Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan about the escalating crisis in Syria. Obama was holding a baseball bat signed by legendary player Hank Aaron. In the shot, Obama looked relaxed and contemplative, but some Turkish leaders did not seem to think so.
"The photo reveals from whom our Prime Minister receives orders to rule the country," Metin Lutfi Baydar, an opposition politician for Turkey`s Republican People`s Party (CHP) party, said in a statement.
Another CHP leader, party vice president Umut Oran, called the picture "an implicit insult to Turkey and its citizens" in Parliament.
It`s exactly the opposite message the Obama team was hoping to convey. "We released the photo with only one purpose in mind, to highlight the President`s continuing close relationship with Prime Minister Erdogan, and draw attention to the important conversation they had about the worsening situation in Syria," Caitlin Hayden, a spokesperson for the White House, wrote in a statement.
The relationship between Turkey and the United States could prove crucial in the search for a solution to the Syrian crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical