William wants Kate to be called `princess`
London: Prince William would prefer that his wife Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, be called "Princess Catherine", officials said.
A commoner by birth, Kate Middleton was given the title Her Royal Highness Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, after her marriage to William, the second-in-line to the throne.
The prince`s spokesman said William was "honoured" to become the Duke of Cambridge.
But he let it be known that he would prefer to remain Prince William and his wife to become "Princess Catherine", according to the Daily Telegraph.
The Buckingham Palace said if people wanted to call Catherine "princess", they were welcome to do so.
Paddy Harverson, the communications secretary of Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales, said the public may be encouraged to use the names Prince William and Princess Catherine.
When Prince Charles married Camilla Parker Bowles in 2005, she took the title "Duchess of Cornwall", while Sophie Helen Rhys-Jones, who married Charles` brother Prince Edward in 1999, was given the title "Countess of Wessex".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest