Yemen air strikes pound Qaeda leader`s home: Military
Sanaa: Yemeni jets pounded the home of a
suspected Al-Qaeda leader on Wednesday, an army source said, as the
military stepped up pressure on the group believed behind a
botched bid to down a US airliner.
British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, meanwhile, announced
in London the suspension of direct flights from Yemen until
further security measures are agreed, in the wake of the
Christmas Day Detroit bombing scare.
A Yemeni tribal source confirmed the air strikes in Erq
Al-Shabwan village, in Maarib province, and said a number of
people had been killed. Local forces were responding with
The wave of air strikes, which began in the morning,
blasted the house of Ayed al-Shabwani, one of six Al-Qaeda
leaders the government said were killed in an air strike last
week, the tribal source said.
A military official, who would not be named, said there
had been three strikes on the house and one on an orange grove
near the village where the authorities think Shabwani had
built a safe haven for dozens of Al-Qaeda members.
The official added that there had been a large deployment
of government troops at the city of Maarib, about five kms
from Erq Al-Shabwan village.
During the afternoon, witnesses said, jets twice sent
missiles smashing into the orange grove and afterwards
continued to fly in the area.
The strikes come just days after Yemen said it killed six
suspected leaders, including Shabwani, of Al-Qaeda in the
Arabian Peninsula in Saada province.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing