8 witnesses summoned in fake passport case involving Salem
Hyderabad: A Special CBI Court on Friday
summoned eight witnesses on May 31 for their examination
against underworld don Abu Salem in a fake passport case.
The court, which has so far recorded the statements of
31 witnesses and marked 41 documents, issued summons to eight
witnesses, including some investigating officials, on the
request of CBI and posted the case to May 31.
The court here will also hear, on the same date, a
petition by the CBI which sought to produce four more
witnesses in the nearly eight-year-old case.
Meanwhile, Salem, who was supposed to be brought from
a prison in Mumbai, did not appear before the court today
citing health reasons.
Earlier, CBI Inspector B Shanker Rao, the 31st
prosecution witness and the first investigating official to be
examined by the court, said he registered a case on September
20, 2002 against Salem and others.
In his deposition, the CBI official said he had also
collected original passport application of Ramil Kamil Malik,
whose name Salem allegedly impersonated and obtained the
passport, besides recording the statements of some witnesses.
The trial against the gangster, extradited in 2005
from Portugal, for obtaining a passport in fictitious name in
2001 from Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh began on June 18
last after CBI filed a case against Salem and others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- When brave CRPF men put themselves between terrorists' bullets and colleagues in Pampore attack
- Egypt deports popular Lebanese political talk show host
- EgyptAir black box flight recorder has been repaired: Commission
- Osborne rules himself out of race to succeed PM Cameron: Report
- 'Subramanian Swamy will dent Modi's image, spook foreign investors'