8 witnesses summoned in fake passport case involving Salem
Hyderabad: A Special CBI Court on Friday
summoned eight witnesses on May 31 for their examination
against underworld don Abu Salem in a fake passport case.
The court, which has so far recorded the statements of
31 witnesses and marked 41 documents, issued summons to eight
witnesses, including some investigating officials, on the
request of CBI and posted the case to May 31.
The court here will also hear, on the same date, a
petition by the CBI which sought to produce four more
witnesses in the nearly eight-year-old case.
Meanwhile, Salem, who was supposed to be brought from
a prison in Mumbai, did not appear before the court today
citing health reasons.
Earlier, CBI Inspector B Shanker Rao, the 31st
prosecution witness and the first investigating official to be
examined by the court, said he registered a case on September
20, 2002 against Salem and others.
In his deposition, the CBI official said he had also
collected original passport application of Ramil Kamil Malik,
whose name Salem allegedly impersonated and obtained the
passport, besides recording the statements of some witnesses.
The trial against the gangster, extradited in 2005
from Portugal, for obtaining a passport in fictitious name in
2001 from Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh began on June 18
last after CBI filed a case against Salem and others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- French church attackers pledged allegiance to ISIS in video
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region
- Terrorist captured in J&K's Kupwara district is Pakistani national from Lahore: Report
- No question of tampering with samples of shot putter Inderjeet Singh: NADA boss