Hyderabad: The Hyderabad Police on Friday said here they have taken all precautionary measures in the wake of country-wide general terror alert issued ahead of the new year bash.
City Police Commissioner M Mahender Reddy said it is a country-wide general alert issued by central intelligence agencies.
"As part of the advisory, we have been informed to remain alert for the next one week. Keeping that in view we are taking all necessary measures," Reddy told reporters.
The police chief emphasised on the need for citizens to remain vigilant in order to avoid any ill-happenings during the celebration.
Meanwhile, to a query regarding involvement of one Mothasim Billah, a former SIMI activist, in a terror case here in October, Reddy said, "Once after getting enough evidence we will not spare anyone and him (Billah) as well in case he is found involved."
Billah's name had cropped up in a terror case busted by Hyderabad Police in October this year.
Two Maharashtra-based youth, allegedly part of the SIMI-al-Qaida module, were arrested from Secunderabad and they reportedly confessed that Billah had promised to finance their travel to Afghanistan.
"...It is a matter of evidence. We are exploring on other possibilities of evidence that can be (made) available against him," Reddy said.
Police had earlier said Billah motivated the duo to go to Afghanistan and get training from Al-Qaeda and had even expressed his willingness to extend financial support to them for VISA processing.