Andhra Assembly session begins amid protests
Hyderabad: The winter session of the Andhra Pradesh assembly began Thursday amid protests over the formation of Telangana state.
As soon as the house met, Telugu Desam Party (TDP) legislators from the Seemandhra (Rayalaseema and coastal Andhra) region surrounded the speaker`s podium opposing the central government`s decision to split the state.
They raised slogans of `Jai Samaikyandhra` (United Andhra) and demanded that the house take up their adjournment motion over the issue.
Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) legislators also rushed to the podium and raised counter slogans of `Jai Telangana`.
The YSR Congress also moved an adjournment motion for passing a resolution to urge the central government to keep the state united. The party wanted the house to pass the resolution before the president sent the bill for formation of Telangana state to the assembly.
Speaker Nadendla Manohar repeatedly appealed to the protesting members to resume their seats and allow the house to pay tributes to former South African president Nelson Mandela.
The house was later adjourned for the day after paying tributes to Mandela and to some former legislators who died recently.
Earlier, TRS, TDP and Bharatiya Janata Party`s Telangana legislators paid tributes at Telangana Martyrs` memorial near the assembly building.
Police have made tight security around the assembly building in view of the threats by some groups opposing the bifurcation to lay siege on the assembly.
CPI-M legislator J Ranga Reddy reached the assembly on a bicycle, demanding the government to release funds for the sub-plan for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes. He also wanted the session to be extended by at least five days.
The winter session will continue till Dec 20. Though the Telangana bill is not on the agenda, the Business Advisory Committee (BAC) has decided to meet again once the bill reaches the assembly.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?