Andhra Assembly session kicks off on stormy note
Hyderabad: The winter session of the Andhra Pradesh legislative assembly began on a stormy note Thursday with the opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) stalling the proceedings, forcing the speaker to adjourn the house.
It was trouble right from the word go as TDP members rushed to the speaker`s podium seeking an assurance that he would take up the no-confidence motion moved by the party.
As soon as the five-day session began at 9 a.m., the TDP members were on their feet. Holding placards to highlight the problems of farmers, they rushed towards the speaker`s podium.
TDP legislators did not even allow Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy to move a condolence motion over the death of a sitting member belonging to the ruling Congress party.
"This is very unfortunate. It is unprecedented," remarked Speaker N. Manohar while appealing to the opposition to abide by the house traditions and rules.
Earlier, TDP leaders submitted a notice to the speaker`s office for a no-confidence motion against the government.
TDP chief N. Chandrababu Naidu and other party legislators reached the assembly in a `padyatra` from NTR Ghat, where they paid tributes to party founder N.T. Rama Rao at his `samadhi`.
Naidu alleged that the government has failed to come to the rescue of farmers reeling under severe drought.
Tension prevailed near the assembly building as police stopped legislators and others of the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) from entering the premises with placards.
TRS members were clad in black to protest the arrest of the party`s politburo member Cheruku Sudhakar in Nalgonda district.
TRS is also demanding that the house pass a resolution demanding formation of a separate Telangana state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY