Andhra Assembly session kicks off on stormy note
Hyderabad: The winter session of the Andhra Pradesh legislative assembly began on a stormy note Thursday with the opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) stalling the proceedings, forcing the speaker to adjourn the house.
It was trouble right from the word go as TDP members rushed to the speaker`s podium seeking an assurance that he would take up the no-confidence motion moved by the party.
As soon as the five-day session began at 9 a.m., the TDP members were on their feet. Holding placards to highlight the problems of farmers, they rushed towards the speaker`s podium.
TDP legislators did not even allow Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy to move a condolence motion over the death of a sitting member belonging to the ruling Congress party.
"This is very unfortunate. It is unprecedented," remarked Speaker N. Manohar while appealing to the opposition to abide by the house traditions and rules.
Earlier, TDP leaders submitted a notice to the speaker`s office for a no-confidence motion against the government.
TDP chief N. Chandrababu Naidu and other party legislators reached the assembly in a `padyatra` from NTR Ghat, where they paid tributes to party founder N.T. Rama Rao at his `samadhi`.
Naidu alleged that the government has failed to come to the rescue of farmers reeling under severe drought.
Tension prevailed near the assembly building as police stopped legislators and others of the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) from entering the premises with placards.
TRS members were clad in black to protest the arrest of the party`s politburo member Cheruku Sudhakar in Nalgonda district.
TRS is also demanding that the house pass a resolution demanding formation of a separate Telangana state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says