Andhra Pradesh bypolls not a referendum: Cong
New Delhi: Faced with a tough situation in the Andhra Pradesh by-elections, Congress on Friday made it clear that it does not see the bypolls as a "referendum".
"This is no referendum. These are by-elections and not general election.... We give them due importance a by election deserves," party spokesperson Renuka Chowdhary told reporters here.
She was replying to questions on whether the Congress believes that the results in Andhra Pradesh by-elections will be a reflection of YSR Congress chief YS Jaganmohan Reddy`s support base vis a vis Congress.
The party spokesperson at the same time said "we are not losing anything. How many seats Congress is going to win and how many seats Jagan is going to lose is the situation there."
Jaganmohan`s party is contesting the bye-polls on June 12 in the absence of its leader, who is under judicial custody in a corruption case by CBI.
18 assembly segments and one Lok Sabha seat go to polls in the bye-election in the state on June 12.
The bypolls to 16 assembly constituencies are necessitated due to the disqualification of sitting Congress MLAs who switched loyalty to Jagan and voted against the Congress government during a floor test in December last.
The by-elections, seen as precursor to the 2014 general elections, will be held in the non-Telangana areas of coastal and Rayalseema regions and will be a crucial test for the fledgling YSR Congress, floated by Jagan months after his father YSR Reddy`s death in a helicopter crash in 2009, and the Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH