Andhra Pradesh CM meets Sonia Gandhi over Telangana
New Delhi: Amid mounting pressure from pro-Telangana groups for an early decision on the statehood issue, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Monday met Congress President Sonia Gandhi and discussed the matter.
Reddy, who arrived in the national capital in the wee hours, had an hour-long meeting with AICC general secretary in-charge of the state Ghulam Nabi Azad soon after his arrival.
He then drove to the residence of Gandhi where her political secretary Ahmed Patel also joined in. The meeting is underway.
Party spokesperson P C Chacko had said on January 30 that Congress is not against the formation of Telangana but it needs time to complete the formalities. He signalled that the process has been put on the fast track.
"Congress is not against the formation of Telangana state. We are in the process of taking a decision but then formalities have to be completed," Chacko had told reporters.
His remarks had come even as Congress MPs from Telangana were waiting for an appointment with Gandhi for submitting their resignation to press for an early creation of a separate state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical