Andhra Pradesh CM meets Sonia Gandhi over Telangana
New Delhi: Amid mounting pressure from pro-Telangana groups for an early decision on the statehood issue, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Monday met Congress President Sonia Gandhi and discussed the matter.
Reddy, who arrived in the national capital in the wee hours, had an hour-long meeting with AICC general secretary in-charge of the state Ghulam Nabi Azad soon after his arrival.
He then drove to the residence of Gandhi where her political secretary Ahmed Patel also joined in. The meeting is underway.
Party spokesperson P C Chacko had said on January 30 that Congress is not against the formation of Telangana but it needs time to complete the formalities. He signalled that the process has been put on the fast track.
"Congress is not against the formation of Telangana state. We are in the process of taking a decision but then formalities have to be completed," Chacko had told reporters.
His remarks had come even as Congress MPs from Telangana were waiting for an appointment with Gandhi for submitting their resignation to press for an early creation of a separate state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery