Andhra Pradesh CM meets Sonia Gandhi over Telangana
New Delhi: Amid mounting pressure from pro-Telangana groups for an early decision on the statehood issue, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Monday met Congress President Sonia Gandhi and discussed the matter.
Reddy, who arrived in the national capital in the wee hours, had an hour-long meeting with AICC general secretary in-charge of the state Ghulam Nabi Azad soon after his arrival.
He then drove to the residence of Gandhi where her political secretary Ahmed Patel also joined in. The meeting is underway.
Party spokesperson P C Chacko had said on January 30 that Congress is not against the formation of Telangana but it needs time to complete the formalities. He signalled that the process has been put on the fast track.
"Congress is not against the formation of Telangana state. We are in the process of taking a decision but then formalities have to be completed," Chacko had told reporters.
His remarks had come even as Congress MPs from Telangana were waiting for an appointment with Gandhi for submitting their resignation to press for an early creation of a separate state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal