AP govt to cancel jail term relief granted to terror suspect
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh government on Monday night decided to cancel the remission of prison term granted to alleged Indian Mujahideen activist Syed Maqbool in the backdrop of his suspected involvement in the twin bomb blasts here last month.
Maqbool, sentenced to life imprisonment in two separate murder cases, was granted remission and set free from jail here in October 2009 after having served nine-years-and-four- months of the jail term.
Delhi Police had arrested him last year under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and the Explosive Substances Act for his alleged involvement in cases of criminal conspiracy to commit terror acts. He was lodged in Tihar jail.
The National Investigation Agency brought him to Hyderabad along with another terror suspect Imran Khan as part of probe into the February 21 blasts at Dilsukhnagar and interrogated them for four days. They were sent back to Tihar yesterday.
"In view of the serious nature of criminal offence committed by Maqbool after his release from prison, the government has decided to cancel the remission granted to him. Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy has cleared the relevant file and sent it to Governor ESL Narasimhan for approval," sources in the Chief Minister`s Office said.
Maqbool will now have to serve the remaining period of his life sentence in the murder cases he had been convicted for, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested