AP govt to cancel jail term relief granted to terror suspect
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh government on Monday night decided to cancel the remission of prison term granted to alleged Indian Mujahideen activist Syed Maqbool in the backdrop of his suspected involvement in the twin bomb blasts here last month.
Maqbool, sentenced to life imprisonment in two separate murder cases, was granted remission and set free from jail here in October 2009 after having served nine-years-and-four- months of the jail term.
Delhi Police had arrested him last year under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and the Explosive Substances Act for his alleged involvement in cases of criminal conspiracy to commit terror acts. He was lodged in Tihar jail.
The National Investigation Agency brought him to Hyderabad along with another terror suspect Imran Khan as part of probe into the February 21 blasts at Dilsukhnagar and interrogated them for four days. They were sent back to Tihar yesterday.
"In view of the serious nature of criminal offence committed by Maqbool after his release from prison, the government has decided to cancel the remission granted to him. Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy has cleared the relevant file and sent it to Governor ESL Narasimhan for approval," sources in the Chief Minister`s Office said.
Maqbool will now have to serve the remaining period of his life sentence in the murder cases he had been convicted for, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Manipur HSLC exam result 2016: Manipur Board Class 10 result to be declared shortly, check manresult.nic.in for Manipur Class X result 2016
- Air ambulance with seven people crash lands in Delhi's Najafgarh
- Nehru, Gandhi family responsible for rising rapes in India, says Rajasthan BJP MLA Gyandev Ahuja
- Shocking video: Old woman mercilessly beaten up by her daughter in Delhi
- Chris Gayle: Melbourne Renegades refuse to renew his contract for BBL 6