AP minister indicted in liquor kickbacks case
Hyderabad: Dismissing allegations of
receiving kickbacks from liquor syndicates, Andhra Pradesh
Excise Minister M Venkataramana on Wednesday said he is ready to face
any probe to prove his innocence.
"I requested Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy to order
a thorough probe into these allegations. I am ready to quit my
post within seconds if I am proved guilty. I have nothing to
do with the person who made allegations that he paid kickbacks
to me," he told reporters here.
The minister`s name reportedly figured in a report
prepared by the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) of the state
government following an allegation made by a liquor
businessman that he paid money to the minister.
The ACB also reportedly mentioned the names of political
leaders from other parties as well.
The minister said the ACB should have taken his version
before mentioning his name in the report.
He maintained that he has become an "eyesore" to liquor
businessmen and some officials for making efforts to stop
violations like selling liquor above the Maximum Retail Price.
The ACB has been conducting raids on liquor syndicates
since December last for violations of rules and the bureau has
announced a nexus among liquor businessmen, government
officials and politicians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Indo-US counter-terrorism joint working group to meet today
- Hillary Clinton more qualified than anyone to serve as US president: Barack Obama
- Rahul Gandhi likely to speak on price rise in Lok Sabha today
- 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case: Ten years later, MCOCA court likely to deliver verdict today
- PM Modi to chair NITI Aayog meet today, review 15-year vision plan