AP minister indicted in liquor kickbacks case
Hyderabad: Dismissing allegations of
receiving kickbacks from liquor syndicates, Andhra Pradesh
Excise Minister M Venkataramana on Wednesday said he is ready to face
any probe to prove his innocence.
"I requested Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy to order
a thorough probe into these allegations. I am ready to quit my
post within seconds if I am proved guilty. I have nothing to
do with the person who made allegations that he paid kickbacks
to me," he told reporters here.
The minister`s name reportedly figured in a report
prepared by the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) of the state
government following an allegation made by a liquor
businessman that he paid money to the minister.
The ACB also reportedly mentioned the names of political
leaders from other parties as well.
The minister said the ACB should have taken his version
before mentioning his name in the report.
He maintained that he has become an "eyesore" to liquor
businessmen and some officials for making efforts to stop
violations like selling liquor above the Maximum Retail Price.
The ACB has been conducting raids on liquor syndicates
since December last for violations of rules and the bureau has
announced a nexus among liquor businessmen, government
officials and politicians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Absconding rape accused AISA leader Anmol Ratan to apply for anticipatory bail
- Silly to have advertised my Chevalier award: Kamal Haasan
- Chikungunya outbreak in Delhi: Symptoms, tips to stay safe!
- Hal Shashti Vrat 2016: What is the significance of Balaram Jayanti!
- Good news for Vaishno Devi pilgrims! Shrine Board to announce new route soon - Know details