Arrested TDP leader, 13 others granted bail
Guntur (AP): Senior TDP leader and former Andhra Pradesh Home Minister Kodela Siva Prasada Rao, who was arrested along with other TDP workers during protests here, was on Monday granted bail.
Kodela and other partymen had tried to lay siege to Cooperative Minister Kasu Venkata Krishna Reddy`s house in Narasaraopet town yesterday, alleging irregularities in the enrolment of voters for ensuing cooperative society elections.
When Kodela and others tried to prevent the police, he was allegedly beaten up by them. In the melee, Kodela fainted and was shifted away. Following this, tension built up as the TDP cadre started fighting back.
The TDP leader and 13 others, who were arrested and were shifted to the district prison in Guntur last night, were produced before a Judicial Magistrate at Sattenapalle town that remanded them in custody till January 4.
However, the Judicial Magistrate granted bail to them this evening.
Meanwhile, a partial bandh was observed in Guntur today to protest against Kodela`s arrest. TDP leaders from other districts came here to express their solidarity.
TDP MLC Dadi Veerabhadra Rao and Karanam Bala Ram condemned Rao`s arrest and demanded action against Narasaraopet Deputy Superintendent of Police.
Apprehending that electoral rolls in the cooperative elections are allegedly being manufactured by officers and Congressmen in the house of the Cooperative Minister in Narasaraopet triggered protests by TDP workers, led by Kodela.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day