Bill for `Equal Opportunities Commission` soon: Minister
Hyderabad: The bill for establishment of an "Equal Opportunities Commission" recommended by Rajinder Sachar Committee is likely to be moved soon, Union Minister for Minority Affairs K Rehman Khan said here on Sunday.
"The bill for `Equal Opportunities Commission` would be moved in two-three months and it will become a law," he said at a convention organised by the `All India Minorities Forum`.
The commission will have many powers and address issues of any discrimination or injustice concerning minorities, he said.
Observing that seeking reservation was not wrong, he said the Congress would fulfil its promise to provide quota for Muslim minorities.
Congress has promised to give reservation on the model of Andhra Pradesh, Kerala and Karnataka.
Noting that Muslim minorities did not seek reservation on the basis of religion, he said the quota was sought for Muslims as a section of the society and on the basis of their backwardness.
Citing various features of the Constitution, he asserted that it provides rights to every section.
The Forum, led by former Andhra Pradesh minister and senior Congress leader Mohd Ali Shabbir, voiced demands like reservation for Muslim minorities, sub-plan for Muslims on the lines of the sub-plan for SC/STs passed by the state assembly recently among others at the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS