Bill for `Equal Opportunities Commission` soon: Minister
Hyderabad: The bill for establishment of an "Equal Opportunities Commission" recommended by Rajinder Sachar Committee is likely to be moved soon, Union Minister for Minority Affairs K Rehman Khan said here on Sunday.
"The bill for `Equal Opportunities Commission` would be moved in two-three months and it will become a law," he said at a convention organised by the `All India Minorities Forum`.
The commission will have many powers and address issues of any discrimination or injustice concerning minorities, he said.
Observing that seeking reservation was not wrong, he said the Congress would fulfil its promise to provide quota for Muslim minorities.
Congress has promised to give reservation on the model of Andhra Pradesh, Kerala and Karnataka.
Noting that Muslim minorities did not seek reservation on the basis of religion, he said the quota was sought for Muslims as a section of the society and on the basis of their backwardness.
Citing various features of the Constitution, he asserted that it provides rights to every section.
The Forum, led by former Andhra Pradesh minister and senior Congress leader Mohd Ali Shabbir, voiced demands like reservation for Muslim minorities, sub-plan for Muslims on the lines of the sub-plan for SC/STs passed by the state assembly recently among others at the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!