Bill for `Equal Opportunities Commission` soon: Minister
Hyderabad: The bill for establishment of an "Equal Opportunities Commission" recommended by Rajinder Sachar Committee is likely to be moved soon, Union Minister for Minority Affairs K Rehman Khan said here on Sunday.
"The bill for `Equal Opportunities Commission` would be moved in two-three months and it will become a law," he said at a convention organised by the `All India Minorities Forum`.
The commission will have many powers and address issues of any discrimination or injustice concerning minorities, he said.
Observing that seeking reservation was not wrong, he said the Congress would fulfil its promise to provide quota for Muslim minorities.
Congress has promised to give reservation on the model of Andhra Pradesh, Kerala and Karnataka.
Noting that Muslim minorities did not seek reservation on the basis of religion, he said the quota was sought for Muslims as a section of the society and on the basis of their backwardness.
Citing various features of the Constitution, he asserted that it provides rights to every section.
The Forum, led by former Andhra Pradesh minister and senior Congress leader Mohd Ali Shabbir, voiced demands like reservation for Muslim minorities, sub-plan for Muslims on the lines of the sub-plan for SC/STs passed by the state assembly recently among others at the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- FSSAI testing more Maggi; brand ambassadors can be liable: Govt
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi