BJP demands official celebrations of Telangana liberation day
Hyderabad: BJP Andhra Pradesh unit Monday demanded the "Telangana Liberation Day" on September 17 be celebrated officially by the state government.
All programmes on September 17 should be celebrated officially, as Telangana region was freed from the clutches of erstwhile Nizam rule one year after the Independence, Chairman BJP Telangana Struggle Committee (TSC), Dr T Rajeshwar Rao told reporters here.
He appealed to leaders of ruling Congress party, TDP and left parties of Telangana region to join in celebrations of Telangana Liberation day and take pledge to achieve
separate statehood for Telangana.
"If Congress party is sincere about separate Telangana state, it should move a bill in the on-going session and our party would support it", Rao said.
The party would launch an 11-day yatra from August 26 in five districts of south Telangana to express solidarity with the family members of those who sacrificed their lives for the cause of Telangana, TSC chairman said.
Of the 400 persons who committed suicide in support of Telangana state, 75 persons including students hailed from five districts of South Telangana, Rao claimed.
Party`s legislator Lakshminarayana, who defeated APCC president D Srinivas in recent Assembly bypolls in Telangana region, would lead the yatra in which state unit president G Kishan Reddy and other leaders would participate.
The yatra would be flagged off by Lakshminarayana in Nalgonda, Rao said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death
- Non-BJP parties plan to boycott PM Narendra Modi's 'Smart Cities Mission' event - Know the reason