Bogie of express train derails in AP, no one hurt
Hyderabad: A bogie of Kanyakumari-Howrah Express derailed in the wee hours on Sunday when a cattle herd strayed on railway track near Kavali station.
No injuries or casualties were reported in the incident involving a second class luggage coach carrying around 25 passengers at the time of the incident, according to a South Central Railway (SCR) release.
"Timely response by the railway engine personnel today averted a possible major mishap when four wheels of the coach of Kanyakumari-Howrah Express (No.12666), next to the engine, derailed between Sri Venkateshwarapalem and Kavali stations on Gudur-Vijayawada down-line section at 2:40 AM," the release said.
The incident occurred when a herd of cattle, strayed on railway track, was mowed down by the speeding train.
"On noticing the herd on track, the driver immediately applied emergency brakes," the release said.
The train, running at a speed of around 72 kmph at the time of the incident, was deftly brought under control and stopped quickly by the loco pilots within a short distance, according to SCR.
According to the release, four wheels of the coach derailed as they got entangled with the carcass of the cattle.
"Around 25 passengers who were travelling in the affected coach were shifted by the onboard railway staff to adjacent coaches of the train," the release said, adding that a accident relief train from Bitragunta immediately rushed to the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why