Bogie of express train derails in AP, no one hurt
Hyderabad: A bogie of Kanyakumari-Howrah Express derailed in the wee hours on Sunday when a cattle herd strayed on railway track near Kavali station.
No injuries or casualties were reported in the incident involving a second class luggage coach carrying around 25 passengers at the time of the incident, according to a South Central Railway (SCR) release.
"Timely response by the railway engine personnel today averted a possible major mishap when four wheels of the coach of Kanyakumari-Howrah Express (No.12666), next to the engine, derailed between Sri Venkateshwarapalem and Kavali stations on Gudur-Vijayawada down-line section at 2:40 AM," the release said.
The incident occurred when a herd of cattle, strayed on railway track, was mowed down by the speeding train.
"On noticing the herd on track, the driver immediately applied emergency brakes," the release said.
The train, running at a speed of around 72 kmph at the time of the incident, was deftly brought under control and stopped quickly by the loco pilots within a short distance, according to SCR.
According to the release, four wheels of the coach derailed as they got entangled with the carcass of the cattle.
"Around 25 passengers who were travelling in the affected coach were shifted by the onboard railway staff to adjacent coaches of the train," the release said, adding that a accident relief train from Bitragunta immediately rushed to the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand