Bogie of express train derails in AP, no one hurt
Hyderabad: A bogie of Kanyakumari-Howrah Express derailed in the wee hours on Sunday when a cattle herd strayed on railway track near Kavali station.
No injuries or casualties were reported in the incident involving a second class luggage coach carrying around 25 passengers at the time of the incident, according to a South Central Railway (SCR) release.
"Timely response by the railway engine personnel today averted a possible major mishap when four wheels of the coach of Kanyakumari-Howrah Express (No.12666), next to the engine, derailed between Sri Venkateshwarapalem and Kavali stations on Gudur-Vijayawada down-line section at 2:40 AM," the release said.
The incident occurred when a herd of cattle, strayed on railway track, was mowed down by the speeding train.
"On noticing the herd on track, the driver immediately applied emergency brakes," the release said.
The train, running at a speed of around 72 kmph at the time of the incident, was deftly brought under control and stopped quickly by the loco pilots within a short distance, according to SCR.
According to the release, four wheels of the coach derailed as they got entangled with the carcass of the cattle.
"Around 25 passengers who were travelling in the affected coach were shifted by the onboard railway staff to adjacent coaches of the train," the release said, adding that a accident relief train from Bitragunta immediately rushed to the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender