Cash seized from vehicle in Andhra Pradesh
Anantapur: Cash to the tune of several crores was on Thursday recovered by police from a lorry in Guntakal town of the district and two persons were taken into custody in this connection.
"The cash was kept in three bags and the counting process is underway. As of now an amount of Rs 45 lakh has been counted and it seems the cash may be over Rs 2-3 crore," a senior police officer said in the evening.
Acting on specific information, police stopped the lorry near Hanumankudali village and recovered the cash during a search, he said.
The vehicle was reportedly on its way from the mineral-rich neighbouring district of Bellary in Karnataka to Hyderabad.
The lorry driver and another person are being questioned and the vehicle has been seized, he said.
Asked if the cash was unaccounted, the officer said, "There is a lot of speculation about the seized cash. The driver is being questioned in this regard. A clear picture will emerge only after the questioning process is complete."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport