Cash seized from vehicle in Andhra Pradesh
Anantapur: Cash to the tune of several crores was on Thursday recovered by police from a lorry in Guntakal town of the district and two persons were taken into custody in this connection.
"The cash was kept in three bags and the counting process is underway. As of now an amount of Rs 45 lakh has been counted and it seems the cash may be over Rs 2-3 crore," a senior police officer said in the evening.
Acting on specific information, police stopped the lorry near Hanumankudali village and recovered the cash during a search, he said.
The vehicle was reportedly on its way from the mineral-rich neighbouring district of Bellary in Karnataka to Hyderabad.
The lorry driver and another person are being questioned and the vehicle has been seized, he said.
Asked if the cash was unaccounted, the officer said, "There is a lot of speculation about the seized cash. The driver is being questioned in this regard. A clear picture will emerge only after the questioning process is complete."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre