CBI registers enquiry in DA case against AP Police Chief
New Delhi: The CBI has started a probe into the alleged disproportionate assets amassed by Andhra Pradesh police chief V Dinesh Reddy on the directions of the Supreme Court.
The agency has registered a preliminary enquiry into allegations that Reddy, a 1977-batch Andhra Pradesh cadre IPS officer, had amassed properties which are disproportionate to his known sources of income, CBI sources said here today.
A bench of Justices BS Chauhan and SA Bobde had directed the CBI to conduct the probe and file status report within four weeks in connection with the allegations.
"The appeals are disposed of directing the CBI to investigate the matter against V Dinesh Reddy on the allegations of acquiring the disproportionate assets," the bench said while passing order on a plea of Umesh Kumar, an IPS officer who filed the complaint against the DGP by allegedly forging the signature of an MP M A Khan.
The bench said probe is needed on the complaint even though it may be "forged or fabricated" as there was substance in the allegation levelled against Reddy.
It said, "Even though the complaint was bogus, however, the sale deeds annexed along with the same, though illegally collected by someone, have not been found to be fabricated documents".
"It becomes evident that in case there is some substance in the allegations and material exists to substantiate the complicity of the applicant (Reddy), the case is to be examined in its full conspectus and the proceedings should not be quashed only on the ground that the same had been initiated with mala fides to wreak vengeance or to achieve an ulterior goal," the bench had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!