Central team in Seemandhra to locate new capital
Hyderabad: With the conclusion of polling in Seemandhra, the focus has now shifted to finding a capital city for residuary Andhra Pradesh.
A Centre-appointed expert committee has already begun field visits to study the pros and cons of different locations for the Capital city in Rayalaseema and Coastal Andhra regions (collectively known as Seemandhra).
The panel has already visited Visakhapatnam and Rajahmundry cities and is expected to visit other places like Vijayawada, Guntur, Kurnool and Tirupati among others.
Visakhapatnam, Rajahmundry, Vijayawada, Guntur, Ongole in Coastal Andhra and Kurnool, Tirupati in Rayalaseema are reportedly in reckoning for new capital of the residuary state post division.
Different groups have been voicing demands for making their own city as the capital of the residuary AP.
A group of activists held a demonstration in Visakhapatnam when the expert committee landed there two days ago.
Former minister TG Venkatesh, who joined TDP ahead of elections, has favoured making Kurnool as the capital. Kurnool was capital of the Andhra state before the formation of Andhra Pradesh in 1956.
Seemandhra borders Orissa, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka and finding a capital city which is equidistant to all parts of the state and with necessary infrastructure could prove to be a tough task, political observers say.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users