Chiranjivi wants early solution to Telangana issue
New Delhi: Popular Andhra Pradesh actor Chiranjivi on Monday met the members of the Congress core group and stressed on "an early decision on the Telangana issue".
Chiranjivi, who recently joined the Congress, had met party general secretary Rahul Gandhi on October 07.
On Monday, he met members of the Congress core group including Defence Minister AK Antony, Home Minister P Chidambaram and Ahmed Patel, political secretary to Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, in Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee`s office to give his feedback on the ongoing agitation to carve out a separate Telangana from Andhra Pradesh.
"I gave my views to the senior leaders. I told them the government should take a decision at the earliest as there is a lot of disturbance in the region," Chiranjivi told reporters after the meeting.
Later, Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad, who is party`s in charge of Andhra Pradesh, said the issue has been discussed with the state leadership and consultations would now be held at the national level.
"It is a complex issue and any solution will take some time," Azad told reporters.
Chiranjivi`s meeting on Monday was part of the consultative process undertaken by the government to find a solution to the vexed issue amid the ongoing agitation for a separate Telangana state.
The government had on October 07 received feedback from Andhra Pradesh Governor ESL Narasimhan and state Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy.
After the meetings, the government ruled out the option of president`s rule in the state.
Congress leaders from the state have also briefed Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the pros and cons of the demand for a separate state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- When Muslim dies they give 20 lakhs, but Hindu doesn't even get 20,000: Sakshi Maharaj
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen