Cong leaders from Telangana want `positive` decision by Dec 9
Hyderabad: Congress leaders from Telangana region of Andhra Pradesh have become hyperactive ahead of the December 9 deadline they have set for the high command even as Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy has been called to New Delhi later this week.
Congress MPs and MLAs from the region have set December 9 as deadline for the party high command to come out with a clear announcement on formation of Telangana state in accordance with the statement made by the then Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on December 9, 2009.
There is intense speculation that at least six MPs and several MLAs from the region may break away from Congress and float a separate "front" while there are also indications that some of them will join the separatist Telangana Rashtra Samiti.
These MPs have been staying away from Parliament proceedings during the ongoing Winter Session and even skipped a meeting called by Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath today.
"We will act according to the wishes of people if Congress does not come out with a positive announcement on creation of Telangana," has been the constant refrain of these "rebels" in the last few days.
Komatireddy brothers, one an MP and another an MLA, have also been open on announcing that they would sever their association with Congress if no positive decision on Telangana is taken by December 9.
While former MP K Keshava Rao is leading the MPs, former minister R Damodar Reddy is trying to bring together the MLAs. Some MLCs from the region are also expected to join hands with them.
Interestingly, there is talk yet again that Kiran Kumar will be replaced as Chief Minister by a leader from Telangana.
Union Minister S Jaipal Reddy is said to be the favourite while there are other contenders like NDMA vice-chairman Marri Sashidhar Reddy and state Housing Minister N Uttam Kumar Reddy.
As Union Minister Vayalar Ravi indicated last week in New Delhi, the Chief Minister will have a lot of explaining to do on the spate of "complaints" lodged against him with the Congress high command.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed