Congress leader Sarojini Reddy passes away
Hyderabad: Veteran Congress leader and former Andhra Pradesh minister Sarojini Pulla Reddy passed away here on Sunday following prolonged illness. She was 85.
A former member of the Congress Working Committee (CWC), she was suffering from cancer. She breathed her last at her residence here, family sources said.
Joining the Congress five decades ago, Sarojini Pulla Reddy was elected as a councillor in the Hyderabad Municipal Corporation in 1965.
She became the first lady mayor of Hyderabad -- and the second woman to don the honour in India after Tara Cherian, who became the lady mayor of Madras in 1966.
Sarojini was elected to the Andhra assembly from Malakpet in 1967. She represented the constituency twice but lost in 1978. She became the first chairperson of Hyderabad Urban Development Authority in 1975.
She was inducted into the cabinet in 1979. She was also a minister in the cabinets of T. Anjaiah, Bhavanam Venkatram and Vijayabhaskar Reddy.
She was the first woman president of the Hyderabad Congress Committee.
In 2001, Sarojini was nominated a member of CWC. Soft spoken, Sarojini had a good rapport with both Indira Gandhi and Sonia Gandhi.
Andhra Pradesh Governor ESL Narasimhan, Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, and senior Congress and opposition leaders condoled her death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'