Congress urged to stall AP Re-organisation Bill in RS
Hyderabad: Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) demanded here on Sunday that the Congress openly oppose the Andhra Pradesh Re-organisation (Amendment) Bill, which would transfer certain villages from Telangana to Andhra Pradesh, to construct the Polavaram multi-purpose irrigation project.
Telangana IT Minister K T Ramarao demanded that Congress leaders from Telangana should persuade their party leadership to oppose the Andhra Pradesh Re-organisation (Amendment) Bill when it is introduced in the Rajya Sabha this week.
The Bill has already been passed by the Lok Sabha last Friday amidst protests by members of the TRS, Biju Janata Dal and others.
Ramarao said the Bill could be prevented from being passed in the Rajya Sabha only if the Congress comes out openly against it, since the TRS has only one member in the Rajya Sabha.
Incidentally, a bandh was organised in Telangana yesterday against the Bill, following a call given by the Left parties and pro-Telangana outfits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet