Constable kills wife, daughter for dowry in AP
Nizamabad (AP): A police constable allegedly killed his wife and daughter here over dowry demand, police said on Sunday.
Constable T Venkatesh, attached to Tadwai police station under Kamareddy sub-division, hit his 28-year-old wife Vanaja and seven-year-old daughter with a blunt weapon at their house late last night causing multiple head-injuries following which both of them died on the spot.
The accused then fled from the house, police said.
Venkatesh, a habitual drunkard, who was earlier suspended on three occasions on charge of quarrelling with others, got married to Vanaja in 2003 and allegedly started harassing and beating her demanding dowry for the past five years, Nizamabad Circle Inspector N Saidulu told a news agency.
"The two bodies were lying in a pool of blood. Venkatesh is absconding since the incident," Saidulu said.
A case was booked under sections 302 (murder) and 498A (husband or relative of husband of a woman subjecting her to cruelty) of IPC and a hunt has been launched to nab the culprit, he added.
A relative of the deceased alleged that Venkatesh repeatedly harassed Vanaja for more dowry despite being given Rs 2 lakh cash and a vehicle.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim writer, accused of insulting God, attacked in Kerala
- Gujarat Dalit victims say 'gau rakshaks' could have burnt them alive
- OnePlus 3 Soft Gold edition hitting the stores today
- Baar Baar Dekho: Brand new ‘Kala Chashma’ still featuring Katrina Kaif, Sidharth Malhotra
- 1st Test, Day 1 – Sri Lanka vs Australia - As it happened...