Court revokes NBW against AP IPS officer
Hyderabad: A local court on Wednesday recalled the non-bailable warrant (NBW) issued against suspended IPS officer Umesh Kumar in a forgery case after he appeared before it on the directions of the Andhra Pradesh High Court.
The Criminal Investigation Department (CID) had last year lodged a criminal case against Kumar for allegedly using forged letterheads of an MP to level allegations that the state`s Director General of Police V Dinesh Reddy and his wife owned assets disproportionate to their income sources.
The NBW was issued against Kumar by the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate on June 14 after dismissing his petition for exemption from personal appearance, as CID officials probing the case had informed the court that the IPS officer had not only failed to turn up before the court but was also not cooperating in the investigation.
However, Kumar moved the Andhra Pradesh High Court, which kept in abeyance till June 25 the lower court`s order while directing the officer to file a petition for recalling the warrant and present himself before the lower court.
As per the directions, Kumar appeared before the court today and submitted a personal bond of Rs 10,000 and two sureties of the same amount after which the court issued notice to the prosecution which, too, did not raise further objections.
Kumar, who was the chairman of Godvari Valley Development Authority (GVDA), was yesterday suspended from service by the Andhra Pradesh government for remaining absent from office since June 11 without applying for leave and not informing higher officials.
Incidentally, the Hyderabad bench of the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) yesterday set aside the appointment of Dinesh Reddy as the DGP of Andhra Pradesh on a petition of senior IPS officer and Principal Secretary (Home) P Gautam Kumar, who alleged that the state government had ignored his seniority while appointing Reddy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!