Disproportionate assets case: Jagan`s bail plea rejected
Hyderabad: A CBI court Wednesday dismissed the bail plea of YSR Congress leader Y S Jaganmohan Reddy in the alleged disproportionate assets case.
The special CBI judge here dismissed one of his bail petition while adjourned hearing on another bail petition to November 30.
The Kadapa MP, currently under judicial remand and lodged in the Chanchalguda Central Prison here since his arrest on May 27 by the CBI on corruption charges, had on November 16 filed two separate pleas seeking bail.
Opposing the fresh bail pleas of Jagan, CBI deputy legal advisor Balla Ravindranath had last week argued that the petitioner was not entitled to get any relief at this stage in view of the Supreme Court order, which upheld the submissions of the central agency that the investigations were still on in connection with seven more cases.
"The petitioner is misguiding this court regarding the grant of bail despite clear orders of the Supreme Court," Ravindranath contended and further submitted that in view of the orders passed by the Supreme Court on October 5, "the accused cannot give a different interpretation of the order" and the bail petitions are not maintainable in law and liable to be dismissed.
Jagan`s counsels, however, contended that their client was eligible for enlargement as the CBI had failed to file the charge sheet with regard to the seven distinct offences referred to by the apex court even after the stipulated 90-day period.
Earlier, on October 5, the Supreme Court had dismissed Jagan`s bail plea in the disproportionate assets case.
In another bail petition, Jagan further alleged that
discriminatory arrests have been affected by the CBI, as Andhra Pradesh Minister Dharmana Prasada Rao (accused no 6 in the case) has not been arrested and continues to be at liberty though it is specifically alleged that he was instrumental in the commission of the offence.
While dismissing Jagan`s bail petition, the apex court had ordered that the petitioner was open to renew his bail before the trial court "on completion of the investigation by the CBI in the seven cases."
The CBI has so far filed four charge sheets against Jagan and others in as many cases. It has accused him of getting huge investments from various individuals and firms into his businesses as quid-pro-quo for the favours granted by the government, when his father (late Y S Rajasekhara Reddy) was the Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks