Don`t want package instead of separate Telangana: AP ministers
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh ministers from Telangana are staunchly opposing any "special package" for the region in lieu of a separate state.
With reports from New Delhi suggesting that the Congress high command is inclined towards a "special economic and political package" for Telangana without conceding the demand for a separate state, anxious ministers from the region today made it clear that "anything except a separate state" would do immense damage to the party.
Ministers D Sridhar Babu, D K Aruna, Danam Nagender and V Sunita Laxma Reddy were among those who spoke against the proposed package and asserted that the only wish of people of the region was Telangana state.
"People`s aspirations are very clear and they are for a separate state. Any kind of packages will not do," they said in unison.
The ministers maintained that they were totally opposed to any package that the Congress proposed to announce, while speaking to reporters in the Assembly premises.
"What is the agitation for in these many years? The issue will come back to square one if statehood is not granted for Telangana," the ministers said.
Reports from New Delhi suggested that the Centre would announce a special package before the end of this month to "resolve" the vexatious Telangana issue.
Creation of more jobs and political positions apart from financial grants will be part of the so-called package.
Granting "national project" status for Pranahita-Chevella lift irrigation scheme and also Polavaram will be a part of the package. These two major irrigation projects are expected to benefit Telangana region immensely.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review