Eid celebrated in Telangana, Andhra
Hyderabad: Muslims across Telangana and Andhra Pradesh Tuesday celebrated Eid-ul-Fitr with religious fervour and gaiety and with prayers for the dead in Gaza.
Tens of thousands of Muslims offered prayers at Eidgahs or open grounds and mosques in the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad.
Attired in new clothes and wearing skull caps, men and children thronged Eidgahs and mosques for the namaz.
In their sermons, the imams condemned Israel`s attacks on innocent children and women in Gaza. They offered special `duas` (supplications) seeking Allah`s blessings for the innocent victims.
Many families preferred to celebrate Eid with simplicity as a show of solidarity with Palestinians. Handouts calling for boycott of Israeli products and companies were also distributed.
The biggest congregation was held at the historic Mir Alam Eidgah in Hyderabad. The historic Makkah Masjid, Military Grounds, Secunderabad Eidgah and Madannapet Eidgah also saw huge gatherings.
Eid-ul-Fitr, which marks the culmination of the holy month of Ramadan, was celebrated with equal fervour in nine other districts of Telangana.
Major congregations were seen in the towns of Warangal, Karimnagar, Nizamabad, Adilabad, Nalgonda and Mahabubnagar.
Eid was also celebrated with gaiety in Andhra Pradesh. Muslims offered prayers in Kadapa, Kurnool, Anantapur, Nellore, Vijayawada, Guntur and other towns.
The imams urged Muslims to introspect and lead the lives in accordance with Koran and Sunnah, the holy life of Prophet Mohammed.
Police had made elaborate arrangements for the smooth conduct of Eid prayers by imposing traffic restrictions.
After month-long fasting, Muslims began the celebrations with prayers and greeted each other and people from other communities.
Before offering prayers, every Muslim family paid Fitra or charity (Rs.80 to Rs.100) on behalf of each member as per the Islamic rules so that the poor can also celebrate the festival.
After the prayers, Muslims visited the houses of relatives and friends to offer greetings.
Guests were treated to sheer khorma (special sweet made of vermicelli, milk and dry fruits) and other dishes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?