Eid celebrated in Telangana, Andhra
Hyderabad: Muslims across Telangana and Andhra Pradesh Tuesday celebrated Eid-ul-Fitr with religious fervour and gaiety and with prayers for the dead in Gaza.
Tens of thousands of Muslims offered prayers at Eidgahs or open grounds and mosques in the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad.
Attired in new clothes and wearing skull caps, men and children thronged Eidgahs and mosques for the namaz.
In their sermons, the imams condemned Israel`s attacks on innocent children and women in Gaza. They offered special `duas` (supplications) seeking Allah`s blessings for the innocent victims.
Many families preferred to celebrate Eid with simplicity as a show of solidarity with Palestinians. Handouts calling for boycott of Israeli products and companies were also distributed.
The biggest congregation was held at the historic Mir Alam Eidgah in Hyderabad. The historic Makkah Masjid, Military Grounds, Secunderabad Eidgah and Madannapet Eidgah also saw huge gatherings.
Eid-ul-Fitr, which marks the culmination of the holy month of Ramadan, was celebrated with equal fervour in nine other districts of Telangana.
Major congregations were seen in the towns of Warangal, Karimnagar, Nizamabad, Adilabad, Nalgonda and Mahabubnagar.
Eid was also celebrated with gaiety in Andhra Pradesh. Muslims offered prayers in Kadapa, Kurnool, Anantapur, Nellore, Vijayawada, Guntur and other towns.
The imams urged Muslims to introspect and lead the lives in accordance with Koran and Sunnah, the holy life of Prophet Mohammed.
Police had made elaborate arrangements for the smooth conduct of Eid prayers by imposing traffic restrictions.
After month-long fasting, Muslims began the celebrations with prayers and greeted each other and people from other communities.
Before offering prayers, every Muslim family paid Fitra or charity (Rs.80 to Rs.100) on behalf of each member as per the Islamic rules so that the poor can also celebrate the festival.
After the prayers, Muslims visited the houses of relatives and friends to offer greetings.
Guests were treated to sheer khorma (special sweet made of vermicelli, milk and dry fruits) and other dishes.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India