Five missing school girls traced in Andhra
Rajahmundry/Kakinada: Five minor girl students of separate schools here, who had gone "missing", were today traced to a lodge at Kakinada in East Godavari district and it was found out that they ran away from their parents due to frequent pestering to excel in their studies, police said.
The girls, aged 11 to 14 years, went to their respective schools yesterday but did not return home, prompting police to fan out teams to Vijayawada, Hyderabad, Kakinada, Visakhapatnam and other parts of the state, to trace them.
"All the five girls were found in a lodge in Kakinada in the evening and have been handed over to their parents," Rajahmundry (Urban) SP Ravi Kumar Murthy told PTI.
He said the girls ran away from their homes as they were admonished by their parents for "lagging behind in studies and not scoring good ranks".
"We counselled the girls and their parents at Bommuru police station before handing them over," the SP said.
He said even though it appears to be an open-and-shut case, police are conducting a through inquiry to find out whether anybody instigated the girls to run away.
The girls have been identified as - Susham Sahani, Reshma Naidu and K?Sidhu Jasmini (all aged 14) and studying in class VIII at Rajahmundry Chaitnya Techno School, Gayatrai Sowbahagya Lakshmi (14), a student of class VIII at Gouthami School, and Ashrita (11), studying in class VI at Divya School at Deevancharvu in Rajahmundry.
Police said the girls lied to the owner of the lodge, saying they had come to participate in the ongoing district sports tournament.
However, the lodge staffers grew suspicious as the girls were not carrying any luggage except their school bags, and alerted police.
"On questioning, the girls told One Town police that they were admonished by their parents and class teachers for lagging behind in studies," police said, adding the girl had left their houses and boarded a bus for Kakinada last night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH