Former SIMI chief in five days police custody
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Thursday, July 21, 2011, 22:49
Hyderabad: A local court on Thursday remanded Syed Salahuddin Salar, an accused in the 2002 Sai Baba Temple blast case and former All India president of the banned Student's Islamic Movement of India (SIMI), in five days police custody.

Andhra Pradesh Crime Investigation Department (CID) had yesterday filed a petition with the Fifth Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate court seeking 10-day police custody of Salahuddin. However, the court granted five-day police custody from today, a CID official told PTI.

Salahuddin had been absconding ever since an IED exploded at the Sai Baba temple on November 21, 2002, killing two persons and injuring 22 others.

Salahuddin was arrested by the CID officials from Madhya Pradesh for his "involvement" in the temple blast case and brought to Hyderabad on Monday last.

The defence, in the meanwhile, alleged that "though we represented the court this morning to submit our arguments (opposing the police custody), the presiding officer passed the orders granting police custody."

However, the court allowed another petition towards medical treatment of Salahuddin, defence counsel M A Azeem said.

A senior police officer, said through the custody, police wanted to interrogate Salahuddin thoroughly with regard to his involvement in the Sai Baba temple blast case and on the role of other accused in the explosion and other such matters.

Salahuddin's name had figured in the confession of an accused who was earlier arrested in the blast case. Salahuddin was deported from Dubai last month and was arrested by the Madhya Pradesh Police in Kochi on June 26 and taken to Ujjain.

Two alleged Lashkar-e-Taiba operatives, Syed Aziz and Mohd Azam, who allegedly played a key role in carrying out the blast, were earlier killed in separate encounters with the police.


First Published: Thursday, July 21, 2011, 22:49

comments powered by Disqus