Hyderabad: A local court on Thursday remanded Syed
Salahuddin Salar, an accused in the 2002 Sai Baba Temple blast
case and former All India president of the banned Student`s
Islamic Movement of India (SIMI), in five days police custody.
Andhra Pradesh Crime Investigation Department (CID) had
yesterday filed a petition with the Fifth Additional Chief
Metropolitan Magistrate court seeking 10-day police custody of
Salahuddin. However, the court granted five-day police custody
from today, a CID official told PTI.
Salahuddin had been absconding ever since an IED exploded
at the Sai Baba temple on November 21, 2002, killing two
persons and injuring 22 others.
Salahuddin was arrested by the CID officials from Madhya
Pradesh for his "involvement" in the temple blast case and
brought to Hyderabad on Monday last.
The defence, in the meanwhile, alleged that "though we
represented the court this morning to submit our arguments
(opposing the police custody), the presiding officer passed
the orders granting police custody."
However, the court allowed another petition towards
medical treatment of Salahuddin, defence counsel M A Azeem
A senior police officer, said through the custody, police
wanted to interrogate Salahuddin thoroughly with regard to his
involvement in the Sai Baba temple blast case and on the role
of other accused in the explosion and other such matters.
Salahuddin`s name had figured in the confession of an
accused who was earlier arrested in the blast case. Salahuddin
was deported from Dubai last month and was arrested by the
Madhya Pradesh Police in Kochi on June 26 and taken to Ujjain.
Two alleged Lashkar-e-Taiba operatives, Syed Aziz and
Mohd Azam, who allegedly played a key role in carrying out the
blast, were earlier killed in separate encounters with the