Govt may move SC against AP HC order on minority quota
New Delhi: With admissions underway to IITs and universities, the government could move the Supreme Court as early as next week to challenge Andhra Pradesh High Court order quashing 4.5 percent sub quota for minorities.
Sources in the government said the HRD ministry is pressing for an appeal to be filed in the apex court by next week as the HC judgement scrapping the sub-quota has put in quandary the nearly 350 IIT aspirants who had been shortlisted under the provision.
Earlier in the day, Minority Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said the government would move the apex court in July.
However, HRD Minister Kapil Sibal is learnt to have discussed the issue. The HRD Ministry is of the view that the issue cannot be delayed as IIT counselling will take place on June 13 and admissions are also on for various universities.
The decision to move the apex court comes after the Andhra Pradesh High Court annulled the government`s decision to carve out 4.5 percent reservation for minorities from within the OBC quota.
"I have spoken to Kapil Sibal. He has no worry at this point of time about the issue of whether the benefit of 4.5 percent will be available to students this session... I asked him whether there was a shortage of time. The impression was there wasn`t," Khurshid told a press conference here in the afternoon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days