Govt may move SC against AP HC order on minority quota
New Delhi: With admissions underway to IITs and universities, the government could move the Supreme Court as early as next week to challenge Andhra Pradesh High Court order quashing 4.5 percent sub quota for minorities.
Sources in the government said the HRD ministry is pressing for an appeal to be filed in the apex court by next week as the HC judgement scrapping the sub-quota has put in quandary the nearly 350 IIT aspirants who had been shortlisted under the provision.
Earlier in the day, Minority Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said the government would move the apex court in July.
However, HRD Minister Kapil Sibal is learnt to have discussed the issue. The HRD Ministry is of the view that the issue cannot be delayed as IIT counselling will take place on June 13 and admissions are also on for various universities.
The decision to move the apex court comes after the Andhra Pradesh High Court annulled the government`s decision to carve out 4.5 percent reservation for minorities from within the OBC quota.
"I have spoken to Kapil Sibal. He has no worry at this point of time about the issue of whether the benefit of 4.5 percent will be available to students this session... I asked him whether there was a shortage of time. The impression was there wasn`t," Khurshid told a press conference here in the afternoon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'