Grand celebration to welcome Chiranjeevi into Cong
Hyderabad: It was supposed to be a momentous
day for the ruling Congress in Andhra Pradesh with formalities
related to the merger of Praja Rajyam Party getting completed on Monday.
There was a grand celebration at the APCC headquarters
"Gandhi Bhavan" to commemorate the occasion with Chief
Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, PCC president Botsa
Satyanarayana and a host of party leaders in attendance to
welcome the "star of the day" K Chiranjeevi and his group of
MLAs into their fold.
But, along with the jubilation there was also some
desolation in the Congress camp as at least two dozen of its
MLAs formally snapped their ties with the party besides
quitting their Assembly membership.
The Congress Legislature Party`s balance sheet thus
read `17 in` and `24 out` today though it doesn`t really pose
any threat to the Kiran Kumar Reddy government as it still has
152 MLAs on its side and can also count on seven of the
The government will not fall by any means, even if the
resignations of all the 26 MLAs are accepted.
"So, even if the 26 resignations are accepted, it will
only be an advantage for the government as it will have a
larger strength than required," a legal expert analysed.
The same confidence was reflected in Congress leaders`
assertion at the Gandhi Bhavan function that none could pull
down the party government.
On their part, the Jagan loyalists too maintained that
they had no intention to dislodge the Kiran Kumar Reddy
government and their resignations were only to protest against
tarnishing of late Chief Minister Y S Rajasekhara Reddy`s
name in the ongoing CBI case against the Kadapa MP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users