Grand celebration to welcome Chiranjeevi into Cong
Hyderabad: It was supposed to be a momentous
day for the ruling Congress in Andhra Pradesh with formalities
related to the merger of Praja Rajyam Party getting completed on Monday.
There was a grand celebration at the APCC headquarters
"Gandhi Bhavan" to commemorate the occasion with Chief
Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, PCC president Botsa
Satyanarayana and a host of party leaders in attendance to
welcome the "star of the day" K Chiranjeevi and his group of
MLAs into their fold.
But, along with the jubilation there was also some
desolation in the Congress camp as at least two dozen of its
MLAs formally snapped their ties with the party besides
quitting their Assembly membership.
The Congress Legislature Party`s balance sheet thus
read `17 in` and `24 out` today though it doesn`t really pose
any threat to the Kiran Kumar Reddy government as it still has
152 MLAs on its side and can also count on seven of the
The government will not fall by any means, even if the
resignations of all the 26 MLAs are accepted.
"So, even if the 26 resignations are accepted, it will
only be an advantage for the government as it will have a
larger strength than required," a legal expert analysed.
The same confidence was reflected in Congress leaders`
assertion at the Gandhi Bhavan function that none could pull
down the party government.
On their part, the Jagan loyalists too maintained that
they had no intention to dislodge the Kiran Kumar Reddy
government and their resignations were only to protest against
tarnishing of late Chief Minister Y S Rajasekhara Reddy`s
name in the ongoing CBI case against the Kadapa MP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins
- Rohit Shetty's 'Ram Lakhan' remake not happening anymore? Here's what we know so far!