Grand celebration to welcome Chiranjeevi into Cong
Hyderabad: It was supposed to be a momentous
day for the ruling Congress in Andhra Pradesh with formalities
related to the merger of Praja Rajyam Party getting completed on Monday.
There was a grand celebration at the APCC headquarters
"Gandhi Bhavan" to commemorate the occasion with Chief
Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, PCC president Botsa
Satyanarayana and a host of party leaders in attendance to
welcome the "star of the day" K Chiranjeevi and his group of
MLAs into their fold.
But, along with the jubilation there was also some
desolation in the Congress camp as at least two dozen of its
MLAs formally snapped their ties with the party besides
quitting their Assembly membership.
The Congress Legislature Party`s balance sheet thus
read `17 in` and `24 out` today though it doesn`t really pose
any threat to the Kiran Kumar Reddy government as it still has
152 MLAs on its side and can also count on seven of the
The government will not fall by any means, even if the
resignations of all the 26 MLAs are accepted.
"So, even if the 26 resignations are accepted, it will
only be an advantage for the government as it will have a
larger strength than required," a legal expert analysed.
The same confidence was reflected in Congress leaders`
assertion at the Gandhi Bhavan function that none could pull
down the party government.
On their part, the Jagan loyalists too maintained that
they had no intention to dislodge the Kiran Kumar Reddy
government and their resignations were only to protest against
tarnishing of late Chief Minister Y S Rajasekhara Reddy`s
name in the ongoing CBI case against the Kadapa MP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly