Gudivada MLA, 7 others get one year jail
Machilipatnam (AP): An Andhra Pradesh MLA and seven others were sentenced to one year imprisonment by a local court on Tuesday for obstructing government officials on duty during an incident in 2005.
K Srivenkateswara Rao, TDP legislator from Gudivada, and the others were later granted bail by the Judicial First Class Magistrate.
As per the case history, a farmer from Pedapalaparu village, K Moshe, had committed suicide on August 23, 2005, alleging that a piece of land owned by him was forcefully taken by the Revenue Department.
Following the incident, Rao and his followers took the farmer`s body to Revenue Divisional Office at Gudivada and staged a `dharna`.
Police had registered a case against the lawmaker and others following a complaint by an official, who alleged that they prevented government officials from discharging their duty.
The court also slapped a fine of Rs 2,000 on each of them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends