Hate speech: Owaisi’s plea for case transfer to Hyderabad dismissed
Adilabad: A local court dismissed the plea of Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) MLA Akbaruddin Owaisi on Wednesday seeking transfer of his alleged hate speech case to Hyderabad, as per reports.
The plea was filed by Owaisi citing better medical case as the reason behind the case transfer appeal, as per CNN-IBN report. However, an additional judicial first class magistrate reportedly dismissed the plea and issued order to the Adilabad jail superintendent to ensure that better medical care be provided to Owaisi.
Facing multiple cases of “hate speech”, Owaisi was remanded to 14 days of judicial custody by the magistrate in Nirmal town, 200 km from Hyderabad.
Akbaruddin was reportedly questioned and produced before the magistrate at 5:30 am, after which he was sent to judicial custody. The Magistrate also asked the police to produce the MLA before the court later today at 10:30 am.
Owaisi was arrested yesterday, a day after he returned from London and was admitted to a hospital for a medical check up, before being taken into custody.
Later in the night, Owaisi was reportedly questioned with regard to the speech delivered by him at a public meeting in the town on Dec 22. He was accompanied by his younger brother Burhanuddin Owaisi, editor of Urdu daily `Etemaad` and his lawyer.
The younger Owaisi`s alleged remarks against the majority community sparked widespread protests by the BJP and its frontal groups across the state.
Owaisi faces charges of waging or attempting to wage war against the state, promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, and for deliberate and malicious acts intended to outrage religious feelings.
Additional security forces have also been deployed in Hyderabad as a precautionary measure.
The 42-year-old heads the MIM in the Andhra Pradesh assembly. Representing Chandrayangutta constituency in the Old City of Hyderabad for a third time, he is the younger brother of MIM chief and MP Asaduddin Owaisi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism - Part II
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh