Hate speech: Owaisi’s plea for case transfer to Hyderabad dismissed
Adilabad: A local court dismissed the plea of Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) MLA Akbaruddin Owaisi on Wednesday seeking transfer of his alleged hate speech case to Hyderabad, as per reports.
The plea was filed by Owaisi citing better medical case as the reason behind the case transfer appeal, as per CNN-IBN report. However, an additional judicial first class magistrate reportedly dismissed the plea and issued order to the Adilabad jail superintendent to ensure that better medical care be provided to Owaisi.
Facing multiple cases of “hate speech”, Owaisi was remanded to 14 days of judicial custody by the magistrate in Nirmal town, 200 km from Hyderabad.
Akbaruddin was reportedly questioned and produced before the magistrate at 5:30 am, after which he was sent to judicial custody. The Magistrate also asked the police to produce the MLA before the court later today at 10:30 am.
Owaisi was arrested yesterday, a day after he returned from London and was admitted to a hospital for a medical check up, before being taken into custody.
Later in the night, Owaisi was reportedly questioned with regard to the speech delivered by him at a public meeting in the town on Dec 22. He was accompanied by his younger brother Burhanuddin Owaisi, editor of Urdu daily `Etemaad` and his lawyer.
The younger Owaisi`s alleged remarks against the majority community sparked widespread protests by the BJP and its frontal groups across the state.
Owaisi faces charges of waging or attempting to wage war against the state, promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, and for deliberate and malicious acts intended to outrage religious feelings.
Additional security forces have also been deployed in Hyderabad as a precautionary measure.
The 42-year-old heads the MIM in the Andhra Pradesh assembly. Representing Chandrayangutta constituency in the Old City of Hyderabad for a third time, he is the younger brother of MIM chief and MP Asaduddin Owaisi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city