High command will take care of TRS merger issue: AP Cong chief
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Congress Committee president Botsa Satyanarayana on Saturday said the party high command would deal with the issue of merger of Telangana Rashtra Samiti.
"TRS was born for the cause of Telangana. Now that Telangana state is becoming a reality, it is for TRS to decide about its future," Botsa told reporters here today.
The merger issue was the concern of the Congress high command, and it would take care of it, he added.
About the exodus of legislators from Congress to other parties, he said such migrations were common ahead of the elections.
"Some leaders are leaving Congress only out of vested interest. If they are switching parties for political gains, people will reject them," he said.
Meanwhile, former minister Ponnala Lakshmaiah demanded in a statement that the TRS should "unconditionally" merge with Congress as the latter had fulfilled the promise of creating Telangana state.
It would be detrimental to both the parties if the merger did not happen, he warned.
"The Congress fought for 60 years for Telangana while the TRS fought only for 13 years. Everyone, particularly (TRS chief) K Chandrasekhar Rao, knows how Telangana became a reality," Ponnala, a senior leader from the region, said.
"If KCR is worried about one MP or one MLA (of TRS) joining the Congress, what about the number of our MPs and MLAs whom KCR took into the TRS? Would the Congress have taken steps towards (creation of) Telangana had it taken the defections seriously?
I leave the merge issue to the wisdom of TRS leaders but KCR should unconditionally fulfil his promise," Ponnala added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued