Hyderabad police-NIA tussle over blasts probe
Hyderabad: In another instance of non-cooperation between state and national security agencies, the Hyderabad police have not transferred the city blasts probe to the National Investigation Agency (NIA) despite a directive from the Centre.
The Union Home Ministry had asked the Andhra Pradesh government to hand over the probe into the recent Dilsukhnagar twin blasts in Hyderabad to the NIA.
However, reports said the Hyderabad police instead transferred the case to its own Special Investigation Team (SIT) yesterday. The Andhra Pradesh Police have been probing the blasts case and have formed 15 teams to carry out the investigation.
Like in the past, this time too it has become a prestige issue between the NIA and the state police. Ever since the blasts took place on February 21, the NIA has been trying to take over the probe. The agency even vented out its frustration by complaining to the Home Ministry and dropping hints to Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy.
"The NIA had registered a case against Indian Mujahideen in September last year on its larger conspiracy," an NIA official said.
"In connection with the (February 21) blasts case we have got custody of Syed Maqbool and Imran Khan, who have been brought to Hyderabad from Tihar jail in Delhi. We are questioning them.”
"The investigation is going on. We have some leads. However, at this point of time, we cannot reveal the investigation details," the NIA officer added.
The blasts in Hyderabad, which claimed 16 lives, were triggered by powerful IEDs planted near Konark and Venkatadiri theatres in Dilsukhnagar.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH